JLL decarbonizes office portfolio at scale and speed
JLL’s integrated Work Dynamics team provides global approach to help occupiers and investors reduce emissions
JLL is committed to reaching net-zero emissions across the value chain by 2040 with a validated science-based target to reduce absolute emissions across all scopes by 51% by 2030, and 95% by 2040. We have a near-term target for our entire portfolio of leased buildings (covering approximately 4.7 million s.f. of space that we occupy ourselves in over 50 countries) to be net-zero carbon in operation to meet our 2030 WorldGBC Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment.
To achieve this ambitious net-zero carbon commitment and meet wider sustainability goals, JLL developed an innovative approach, bringing together an integrated global team of experts from JLL Work Dynamics to decarbonize our entire office portfolio at scale and speed.
Our approach starts with due diligence of the shortlist of potential sites, and any current office against sustainability criteria. During lease negotiations our Sustainable Operations experts worked alongside Transaction Management to ensure lease language is drafted to align with our sustainability commitments. By engaging landlords, we evaluate potential and existing offices against the potential cost and viability to collaboratively meet our sustainability criteria.
JLL’s approach has contributed to significant reductions in energy consumption across the portfolio. We are exceeding our World GBC Commitment pathway and are on-track for 100% of JLL offices >10,000 ft2 to have a sustainability certification by 2030. Highlights include:
- 9% reduction in like-for-like electricity consumption compared with 2018
- 12% reduction in like-for-like electricity intensity (kWh/s.f.) compared with 2018
- 43% reduction in like-for-like Scope 2 emissions from electricity (market-based) compared with 2018
- 29% of electricity across our global portfolio supplied from, or sourced from, renewable sources by end of 2022
- Over 1 million kWh of electricity used by JLL offices across the Americas is sourced from renewable energy
- By the end of 2022, 54% of applicable JLL offices had a green building certification, up from 45% in 2021. Sixteen offices were certified to either LEED, WELL, Green Star, Green Mark or RICS SKA standards in 2022, with a further two achieving WELL pre-certification
- 24% of total waste was recycled in 2022. We have set complementary targets to equip 100% of JLL offices with waste streaming and recycling programs and remove all single-use plastics from our office portfolio, by 2023.